Tool for creating thumbnail graphics archive?

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Thu Mar 6 11:01:49 EST 1997

     An approach is go the the software libraries of ZD-NET.COM and
     CNET.COM.  They each have several pages of graphics routines - some of
     which are freeware.  ULEAD also makes a professional graphics product
     - fairly cheap ($200 or so?) - that generates a page of thumbnails on
     the fly when you click into a directory.  Picture Publisher 5.0 (there
     are newer versions as I understand it) also gerates thumbnails upon
     request.

     There is a lot of shareware on cnet.com and zdnet.com that will do
     graphics tricks.  Most of it is Windows oriented.

     A program called htmlimg (as I recall) from the University of Geneva
     will make an html page on the fly which displays the .jpg and .gif
     files in a directory through an internet browser.  It is available on
     zdnet.  It's freeware, and though it doesn't generate thumbnails, it
     does a good job of displaying lots of graphics files.

     The most flexible overall viewer I have found is acdsee - also
     available on cnet and zdnet.  It is shareware - costs about $30 for a
     full copy - and does not generate thumbnails.  But it will do
     slideshows and allows you to sort, select, move, copy and delete files
     on the fly.

     Earl Young