"60 Minutes" and Web Site Evaluations

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Tue Mar 4 06:36:43 EST 1997

     I agree with Mr. Dowling on this.  This story attracted the interest
     of some deputy assistant producer on the 60 Minutes staff, and they
     (assuming normal procedures were followed) were able to interest
     enough others on the staff that they decided to do a story.  My hunch
     is that most of the dangerous hackers already knew about this by the
     time 60 Minutes decided it merited air time.  Coverage of Satan and a
     number of the other stories over the last couple of years have made it
     easier for system security people to fix their systems because they
     highlighted things that those who would attack typically already knew.

     They also make it easier to justify the time spent on security to
     management.