Postscript viewer help

Thaddeus P. Bejnar LGLLAWLIB at technet.nm.org
Mon Mar 3 23:01:18 EST 1997

At 08:43 AM 3/3/97 -0800, Dr. Helen Laurence wrote:
>Has anyone had luck loading a reliable PostScript viewer?
.... skip ....
>Ghostscript loaded OK in one instance; would not load at all in another.
>Where it was loaded, it displayed the reviews about 50% of the time. The
>other 50% it returns memory error messages. Similarly, it will print only
>some of the time.
.... skip ....

The problem may not be with the applications at all.
We have a lot of problems with Win 3.1 and Win 3.11 as memory
managers and are leaving them behind as quickly as possible.
With Netscape loaded, and who knows from what else Windows has
not released the memory, it is not surprising to get the type
of errors you are reporting.  If Ghostscript works with a clean
boot straight to Netscape and Ghostscript, then you need to
consider a better machine/OS or a dedicated terminal.  Of course
you might want to clean out unused programs and fonts from the
Windows initialization files as well.

--Thaddeus P. Bejnar <lgllawlib at technet.nm.org>
  State Law Librarian (NM)