"60 Minutes" and Web Site Evaluations

Linda Absher absher at lclark.edu
Mon Mar 3 13:30:41 EST 1997

Okay--I'll be the first one to bring this up:  did anyone watch the "60
Minutes" report on the difficulty in determining the
authority/authenticity of info presented via the web?  I know tv ratings
thrive by presenting a subject as if it were The Next Big Catastrophe,
but I was taken aback by its ominous, cataclysmic tone, and its attempts
to suggest that children may be yet again at risk when using the web.

And not even a faint mention of the ability of libarians to evaluate
information available on the web....

LInda

Linda Ueki Absher		absher at lclark.edu/lindaa at info.berkeley.edu
Reference Librarian		(503) 768-7287       FAX: (503) 768-7282
Lewis & Clark College 		Portland, OR 97219
--
"By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task completely
 overwhelm me. -- Asleigh Brilliant