PostScript viewer help

Helen Laurence laurence at acc.fau.edu
Mon Mar 3 01:39:25 EST 1997

Has anyone had luck loading a reliable PostScript viewer?

We are trying to load a PostScript viewer to enable our users to display
MathSciNet reviews in Postscript format.  We have tried Ghostscript, PSview
2.1 and Preview Lite. We are running Netscape 2.01 on Windows 3.1 PCs.

Ghostscript loaded OK in one instance; would not load at all in another.
Where it was loaded, it displayed the reviews about 50% of the time. The
other 50% it returns memory error messages. Similarly, it will print only
some of the time.

PSview 2.1 returns a variety of error messages (could not initialize
xxx.dll, etc.). Preview Lite (this is the only one of the three that costs
-- $30 per license) opens small files successfully, but the MathSciNet
reviews (which average 500K or more) are displayed as random garbage
characters scattered about the page.  We have faxed the software company
(Liberty) that sells Preview Lite, but they have not responded (since 10
days ago...)

We are anxious to provide access to MathSciNet reviews via the web on our
public PCs, but need to find a PostScript viewer that is stable and reliable.

Any suggestions?  Do you have a Postscript viewer loaded on your public
Internet PCs? Have you tried to open the MathSciNet reviews? Any luck?
(www.ams.org/mathscinet/)

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance,
Helen
Dr. Helen Laurence	                 Systems Department
FAU  Libraries		Ph:   561-367-3789
777 Glades Road		FAX: 561-338-3863
Boca Raton, FL 33431	Email: laurence at acc.fau.edu