Distribution of Playboy in libraries (was RE: Boston...)

Donald Barclay dbarclay at Bayou.UH.EDU
Mon Mar 3 09:33:54 EST 1997

Whether there is or is not a law, there is a difference.  Stores make
money selling <<Playboy>>.  Libraries don't make money providing Internet
access--at least they don't make money as a direct result of Internet
access.  And Internet access to <<Playboy>> is not the same as having
<<<Playboy>> sitting on a shelf with, at most, a few dozen other
magazines.

Also, the important point is that if governments want to pass pornography
laws, they can hire people to enforce them.  They should not require
libraians or anybody else to act as unofficial deputies in the unwinable
war on smut.

Donald A. Barclay
Coordinator of Electronic Services    always the beautiful answer
University of Houston Libraries       who asks a more beautiful question
DBarclay at uh.edu                               --e.e. cummings