Netscape & Users Privacy

Laura Quilter lauramd at uic.edu
Wed Mar 12 19:24:06 EST 1997

> > I hate to bring this up, but there are times as a system
> > administrator or lab administrator when the information
> > can really be handy. Recently we had a awkward situation
> > with a man who was looking at pornography on the web and
> > masturbating in front of female patrons. When working
> > with security to try to catch him, the police asked to
> > see what he had been looking at on the web in order to
> > help in developing a psych profile. So we did this, and
> > went back and looked for the specific times and machines
> > we knew he had used. I don't know how much help it was,
> > and we do NOT routinely spy on our patrons this way. In
> > this case I felt it was warranted. If you normally don't
> > use this, and 99% of the patrons don't know about it,
> > are you really putting their privacy at risk? We set

If patrons don't know about it, then their privacy is even MORE at risk,
since they don't know how to take steps to guard it.  Patrons who *know*
how to empty the cache can do so, but that's hardly all or even most or
even many patrons.

Given the history of police abuse of power in Chicago (and many other
places) - illegally tracking all kinds of groups - I am disinclined to
make available for police or FBI use any kind of patron records.  It is a
serious matter, and I am thankful that librarians have refused to give up
circulation records for books, and I hope that we protect our patron's
privacy on the Internet, as well.

Laura M. Quilter   /   lauramd at uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago