E-mail/Chat on library Internet terminals

Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 30 10:48:00 EDT 1997

     Thomas Perrin wrote...
     > For the life of me, I don't  understand why this situation
     > bothers so many different library administrators.  Do they
     > really care what kinds of information I get?   I never
     > heard of an Interlibrary loan person restricting the kinds
     > of information obtained by a patron.  Why should electronic
     > media be any different?

     Once again, this whole debate is confused because people take
     "libraries" to mean one particular thing.  The needs, resources, and
     priorities vary widely from one library setting to another.  What's
     obviously true in one kind of library can be equally obviously false
     in another.

     In fact, we DEFINITELY restrict use of ILL.  We limit it to legitimate
     work-related purposes.  Yes, we will get a novel on ILL, provided that
     novel is being used for someone's research. (Do we make people prove
     their case? No.)  The ILL service we offer is a free service for
     work-related materials for our faculty staff and students only.  All
     other requests, including our own users' recreational reading requests
     (like they have time!), must go through our fee-based library
     department.

     We would very much like to limit use of our public-access Internet
     workstations in a similar way.  I have looked at some of the filtering
     tools, and none of them are right for us. I have had no success at all
     with posted policy statements.  For our next round of public
     workstations, we've hired a programmer to try to get access to e-mail
     and news READER programs off the menu.  Here's hoping there's a cheap
     software solution for adult-oriented library filtering soon.

     Jenny Reiswig
     Biomedical Library
     University of California, San Diego
     jreiswig at ucsd.edu