E-mail/Chat on library Internet terminals

Robert J Tiess rjtiess at juno.com
Fri Jun 27 19:54:28 EDT 1997

Although a library offering Internet access can easily disable
the e-mail features of Netscape Navigator by removing all
information pertaining to a valid POP3 account, patrons can
still (and do) access e-mail through web-based e-mail
accounts, such as the ones freely available through
http://www.hotmail.com.

Question:  Do you believe this is a valid, natural extension of
Internet access in a library, a right for the patron to have, or
do any of you believe Internet access is to be provided as
merely a research tool and not a medium for communication?
And what of the patron who comes in merely to access her or
his e-mail and leaves?  Is this an appropriate use of the
Internet in a library setting?  I am yet undecided as to this,
as one can make a compelling argument that communication
is being conducted for the purpose of research.

The second part of my query is this:  What about chats?
Java chats can be disabled by turning off Java in Netscape
Navigator, but there are web-based chats too (sometimes
taking of form a "message board"), cgi-based, essentially
unstoppable.  Free speech and patron codes of conduct
considered, should this otherwise silent, unobtrusive
privilege be prohibited (through policy), or is it something
we should condone?  Should it be addressed in an Acceptable
Use Policy?  This also remains an open issue to me, since, as
with e-mail, one can actually utilize chat for research.

				Robert
				rjtiess at juno.com