Consciousness of disinformation

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Thu Jun 26 15:40:31 EDT 1997

At 01:02 PM 6/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm simply curious as to whether not any of the libraries on
>this list have made any sort of concerted effort to alert their
>patrons as to the potential for informational inaccuracy or
>disinformation on the World Wide Web.  . . .

We try and deal with this in a variety of ways.
At the top of our posted policy statement is a warning\reminder that the
Library is not liable for content or accuracy of Internet information --
advising them to consider the currency and validity of the source - and
suggesting the work with a Reference Librarian if they have questions.

In our Intro to the Library seminars and other bibligographic instruction
we go into much more detail advising students to consider such things as
currency - validity and bias when evaluating any reference source with
particular emphasis on the Internet.

>. . .I'm not saying, of course, this is a primary task for librarians,
>or even what librarians should be focusing on.

Actually - as a Junior College library our librarians conisder it an
important part of their role to work with the instructors in helping our
students develop effective research skills - which includes critical
evaluation of sources.

Thank you for a very important reminder that something is not necessarily
true just because it is on a computer screen - or in print ---