What s new/innovative in Reference Services?

Talbot_Michael/SLSA at slsa.sa.gov.au Talbot_Michael/SLSA at slsa.sa.gov.au
Thu Jun 26 01:14:45 EDT 1997

A similar message was sent to LIBREF-L on 17 June and prompted
a few replies. I m now posting to DIGLIB, PACS-L, WEB4LIB, and
PUBLIB to see if I can provoke a few more responses

As manager of Library Services Development at the State Library of
South Australia, I have been asked to check out what is new and
innovative in reference services. I d welcome hearing from anyone
involved in, or knowing of examples.

I m interested in the field generally, but also particularly in what is
happening in major public libraries.

My initial search suggests the basic aim is still the same: ie direct,
personal assistance to readers seeking information. Are there serious
challenges to this?

As far as actual services go, I m interested in using technology to
improve reference services

I am also interested in any other, perhaps smaller, more detail innovations
leading to improved service.

What are people doing behind the scenes to make reference services more
efficient? I m thinking perhaps of databases tracking work in progress,
or databasesof previously answered questions as an information resource
to help answer future enquiries.

I m casting my net wide, any assistance would be appreciated.
I d be happy to post a compilation of results.
Replies either to the list, or to

Michael Talbot
Manager, Library Services Development
State Library of South Australia