selecting a search engine for a library web site

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Jun 25 12:44:34 EDT 1997

Ernest Perez wrote:

> If the latter (a multi-server search engine), you might try Phantom,
> from Maxxum, Inc. It's Mac-based, runs around $500, and is pretty slick
> & simple for an effective robot/spider indexer.  More info at
>    <www.maxxum.com>
>
> At Oregon State Library, we've chosen Phantom to be our global indexer
> for all state government agency websites (excluding the academic sites).
> It's currently indexing over 40 agency Web servers.  Indexes and
> performs pretty nicely, at not a bad price. And since it's Mac software,
> you don't need to be a rocket scientist, etc., etc.  You can check out
> our implementation at http://index.osl.state.or.us:8080/

Oops, I sent dated information...I looked at their site for first time
in a while, and find that they're now also selling an NT version of
Phantom.  One of our support analysts looked at it and said it's pretty
much a carbon copy of the Mac version.

- ernest

ernest perez ** perez at opac.state.or.us ** 503-378-4243,xt 257