Dertouzos on future libraries

Diane Lewis DILEWIS at IGSRGLIB01.ER.USGS.GOV
Thu Jun 19 07:28:49 EDT 1997

IMHO, Joe Shallen is right on target here.  I've been ranting for
several years now about the hoops library patrons must jump through to
use our computer systems.

In my private persona, I refuse to use any library's system other than our own
to find materials.  Just trot myself back to the general area in the
stacks and browse.  And I speak as someone who's been professionally
involved in three system conversions and uses an integrated library system,
OCLC, and a standalone LAN  system everyday.  I just don't need any
more frustration, much less in my leisure time.

I concur also with Joe's statement that the solution lies in
standardization.  Moreover, concentration should be on ease of user
access, with module integration and the various bells and whistles
taking second place.

Diane M. Lewis
U.S. Geological Survey Library