E-mail Clients

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jun 18 16:53:52 EDT 1997

And if we are talking IMAP clients, by far the best one I have found to
date is Mulberry from Cyrusoft, International.  I have been playing with it
since just Monday and I'm already sold (eg, I'll give up PINE for this mail
client).  It is cross-platform (Macintosh and Windows), feature rich, and
STABLE.  The company has been very responsive to the minor bugs that I've
found and other questions.  A 30-day trial can be downloaded from the net
at http://www.cyrusoft.com/.

I agree with Tim.  If you can afford the server resources to do so, go with
an IMAP client/server solution.  That way your mail is accessible from
anywhere (such as from the office, from home, and while on the road), and
can be backed up on a server rather than relying on PC backup software.  It
will take more server resources to do this because the mailboxes are
physically stored on the server and there is always an IMAP connection open
between the client and the server so there is memory and process overhead
for that connection, but I think it is well worth it.

Peter

--On Wed, Jun 18, 1997 11:09 AM -0700 "Timothy G. Kambitsch"
<kambitsch at DAYTON.LIB.OH.US> wrote:

> What you really should be looking at is IMAP clients.  The popular POP
mail
> client products, like Eudora, assume you want to download all the new
> messages to your hard drive and delete them off your mail server.
>
> IMAP can be configured to do the same thing, but where it really shines
> is the ability to only download during the session mail directories and
> message summary lines.  As you read each message it gets downloaded to
> the PC.  As you delete, reply and otherwise manipulate your message, the
> IMAP client will keep track of those changes.  When you logout, the IMAP
> client send al the updated activity to the server, such as deleting
messages
> marking them as read, etc.  That way your mail always gets saved to one
> location.
>
> This approach means that you can read your mail via a host based client
> if you are on the road and can only telnet back to read mail. In your
> office you can read it form a PC with a graphic client.
>
> IMAP also allows one machine to be used my many people.  Since everything
> stays on the server, you don't need to worry about what mail others might
> read.
>
> Whether to use IMAP over POP is not a simple question, but you start your
> reading at http://www.imap.org.
>

> Tim
>
>>At 8:18 AM -0700 6/18/1997, rodrigue.real at uqam.ca wrote:
>>

>>* What you want is indeed feasible. You can use, for example, Eudora
Light
>>* (to download: <http://www.eudora.com>), and set up different
Preferences

--