HTML stuff: validators, metadata and Lynx

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:28:54 EDT 1997

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997 spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu wrote:

> On another topic, can anyone point me to some additional information
> on uses of META tags?  It's one topic not covered very fully in the
> HTML books I have.  I've been using them for "keywords" in particular,
> but I'm wondering about the other uses of the META tag.

Stacy,

Here are some Web pages, in no particular order, that may address your
META tag question.

1. HTML Writers Guild Meta FAQ at:

http://www.hwg.org/faqs/metaFAQ.html

2. Sandia Labs HTML Reference Manual entry:

http://www.sandia.gov/sci_compute/elements.html#META

3. from Woodhill Engineering Consultants:

http://www.woodhill.co.uk/html/html2v.htm#meta

4. From the Web Design Group:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/head/meta.html

5. From the Web Developer's Virtual Library (WDVL):

http://WWW.Stars.com/Authoring/HTML/Head/meta.html

6. Vancouver WebPages provides the Meta Tag Builder page at:

http://vancouver-webpages.com/VWbot/mk-metas.html

You imput your values, according to their queries, and their server
returns a generated META tag.  This site is often very busy, and is
mirrored from Drexel U. at:

http://httpsrv.ocs.drexel.edu/undergrad/st93he7f/mk-metas.html

Hope this helps.

John Creech
Electronic Resources Librarian & Asst. Head of Reference | Central Washington
University Library | 400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081 |
jcreech at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu |
personal mail=jcreech at ellensburg.com
personal pages=www.redshift.com/~jcreech

"Filters?  We don't need no stinkin filters."