"Secure server" transactions

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Thu Jun 12 13:27:06 EDT 1997

We are about to put up some web services (mainly request forms,
suggestions, etc.) and realized that we do not have the facilities on our
campus for "secure server" transactions.  We would be asking our users to
input their library number (campus one-card bank ISO number) and other
personal information (name, address, etc.).  In some cases, the
information would indicate both patron name and titles of books -- which
might violate privacy laws if intercepted.

Are other libraries offering these services in an "unsecure" web
environment.  Should we consider not offering the services until "secure
server" services are available?

I was thinking of going ahead, but include a security disclaimer on each
form to give the patron a choice.  Would this be enough?

Thanks for any input.

Bob Jones                                    mailto:bjones at unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 620-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 620-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88