Sue a library or librarian

Stephanie Kraus krauss at crisny.org
Thu Jun 12 10:14:33 EDT 1997

Jan Heckman wrote:
> I applaud the shift in the discussion of  filtering software.  For
> those who have been evaluating internet filtering software, a
> question.  If a patron (assuming an adult?) asks for the software to
> be turned off is it possible which raises both a technological and
> policy question?

Our library has adopted a policy that allows anyone over 18 to have the
filter (Surfwatch) turned off.  All it takes is 2 clicks of the mouse
and a password.  Our staff doesn't ask why the patron wants it turned
off we just do it-- the only stipulation is that the patron must be 18
or older.  We do no monitoring of Internet screen content.

Stephanie Kraus
krauss at crisny.org
Outreach and Internet Services Librarian
William K. Sanford Town Library
Loudonville, New York