Legal filter

Dianne L Parham DZP at library.sannet.gov
Wed Jun 11 10:48:20 EDT 1997

We've been given an attorney's opinion that "if a library exercises
content control over the information available of the Internet, it may be
held liable for the transmission of inaccurate, harmful, or inappropriate
materials...the decision to exercise control may bring with it tort
liability."  Has anyone out there gotten legal opinion on this
technology?  We are waiting for the appellate ruling on the
"Communications Decency Act of 1996" which may change our current
library's stand.  I understand the ACLU has some lawsuits pending, but I
admit I'm not up on where they are at.  Any input on law on filtering
technology???  Dianne Parham, San Diego Public Library