B&N and Specialty Houses -Reply

karen hartman khartman at mwcgw.mwc.edu
Wed Jun 11 14:51:04 EDT 1997

I have used Amazon.com twice now and I must agree with Stephen
Marek.  I live in a community where there is no big bookstore and
Amazon.com has been like a breath of fresh air.  Just last week I
ordered a book for a friend.  It is a brand new hardcover book which
was reviewed favorably in several reviews.  It listed for 22.95 but I got it
for 14.00 through Amazon.  (Plus 4.00 for shipping).  I ordered it for her
on Wednesday and she got it on Saturday, the exact day of her birthday.
Amazon e-mailed me and told me when they had sent it off and when I
wrote back and asked if they thought it would arrive on Saturday, they
wrote me back in a couple of hours and said that they thought it just
might make it for Saturday.   Amazon.com feels like a neighborhood
bookstore to me.   I'm not trying to push a company here, I just had to
write and tell everybody how wonderful Amazon.com has been for me,
and how they have achieved personalized service in an electronic
environment.