Barnes and Noble snubs Lynx users

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Tue Jun 10 13:56:55 EDT 1997

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Robert J Tiess wrote:
> Yet, for all the lost standards and prettified (though occasionally
> admittedly ingenious) interfaces and gadgets on web pages, I have
> not noticed a convincingly Better Web.

As a classic example of this, take a look at Information Week Review's
website (actually VNU publishing's Mag.Net site) at
<URL:http://www.iwr.vnu.co.uk/>.  This must take the biscuit as one of the
the rudest, most untruthful snubs to older/text only/oddball browser users
going.  Not only does it call my latest copy of lynx "steam powered", it
actually turns out that its not that the browser isn't "fast enough"
that's the problem.  The real problem is the VNU have made a business
decision to piss people off and hired some cowboy page designers who
couldn't be bothered to use the <NOFRAMES> section to carry actual
content.  I was interested in a article of theirs but they lost my
business by excluding my two of my three browsers.

Luckily, banners such as their are often a clue to browser users that what
lies beyond its mainly glitz, marketing spiel and registered-users-only
stuff.  I like to think of it as an advanced feature of the
non-Netscape/IE browsers that points out cacky sites to save you time
downloading a load of old rubbish... :-) :-)

Tatty bye,

Jim'll