information neutral

Millard Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
Tue Jun 10 10:57:07 EDT 1997

Bill Drew posted:

Ingo wrote:

> Deirdre,
>
> I agree with and subscribe to every single word you wrote.
> Our work is consisting in giving information and information is absolutely
> neutral.

Information is never neutral.  Information and access to it is always in
some type of political/social context and therefore cannot be neutral.
Information and access to it is liberates the individual and therefore
is threatening to the small minded and to certain governments and
therefore cannot be neutral.
--------

Neither is technology neutral.  Technology invariably alters the environment
in which it is introduced.  Libraries and society will be different after the
web becomes pervasive.  The people who introduce the technology must
take some responsibility for those changes.

Millard F. Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
"I would rather risk failure than achieve it without risk"