Objection to endless censorship threads

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 9 18:02:11 EDT 1997

I do not believe that splitting the list would be a good idea. I forsee
problems with determining to which list something should be posted, as
well as problems with cross-posting and keeping track of threads that
jump (and they will jump) from one list to the other. I would also guess
that many people on the list cannot (and perhaps should not) get by with
subscribing to just one. Thus the majority of subscribers would then be
on two lists instead of one, with no reduction in messages and an
increase in headaches.

>From my experience, raging discussions on ethical dilemmas (recent
evidence to the contrary notwithstanding) will eventually abate (for a
time). As has already been pointed out, there *has* been some light among
the heat, and anyone who doesn't wish to see postings on the topic can
easily delete them based on the subject line. (Please don't flame me
about wasting your time).

As perhaps you all have detected by now, I prefer an approach to list
ownership that greases the wheels, maintains the infrastructure, and gets
the heck out of the way. When I am forced to become list cop to maintain
the list policy, I try to do so with the individual rather than to the
list membership. Infractions have, on the whole, been very rare. So if
you are waiting for me to jump in and say "this is enough," you will
probably go grey waiting. If the topic is appropriate to the list and no
blood is being spilled then I will not attempt to draw it to a close by
asserting list owner authority. As my office mates will attest, there are
plenty of times when I may despair of ever seeing the end of a thread *as
a participant*, but as the list owner it is not my place to assert my
individual will on the group regarding relative lengths of discussion
threads.

In nearly all cases, the topics being endlessly discussed are essential
ones to the community as a whole. If you individually find them less than
useful, then exercise your right to not read or participate in that part
of the discussion. But my guess is that soon you will see something
coming across the wire that *is* of interest to you, and perhaps of such
importance that it makes all the rest worthwhile.

Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Owner