ALA's position on access to electronic information, part two

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Mon Jun 9 00:29:00 EDT 1997

ALA OIF wrote:

>22.  Should the library deny access to Constitutionally protected
>speech on the Internet in order to protect its users or reflect
>community values?

>No.  The library should not deny access to constitutionally-protected
>speech.  People have a right to receive constitutionally-protected
>speech, and any restriction of those rights imposed by a library
>violates the U.S. Constitution.

Since when is it unethical for a library to not provide access to
constitutionally
protected speech?  We don't acquire or provide access to all kinds of
things
which are constitutionally protected: tabloids newspapers, soap opera
broadcasts, etc.  Just because speech is constitutionally protected
doesn't
mean we have to waste valuable time, money and bandwith on it.  Those
guys
sure do like to wrap themselves in the First Amendment. Sheesh.

>23.  Does using software that filters or blocks access to
>electronic information resources on the Internet violate this
>policy?

>The use of filters implies a promise to protect the user from
>objectionable material.  This task is impossible given current technology and
the >inability to define absolutely the information to be blocked.

Why does a filter "imply a promise to protect the user"?  If your
foolish enough
to tell your users the filter works perfectly, be my guest.  You just
tell them it
works most of the time, end of story.

>The filters available would place the library in a position of
>restricting access to information.

As is non-selection.

>The library's role is to provide access to
>information from which individuals choose the material for themselves.

Selection is making certain choices for the user.

That's it?  That's the best they can do?  I'm very disappointed.

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us