Electronic Brown Wrappers in special libraries

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Fri Jun 6 17:04:30 EDT 1997

David wrote:
>Chuck "porn pusher" Munson wrote:

     I'll point out here that David is consistently calling me names in an
     attempt to marginalize me as an "extremist." Oh well.

>C'mon Chuck, public libraries aren't supposed to serve the prurient
>needs of pornophiles, and you know it.

     What we have here is a clash of worldviews, so anything I argue will
     eventually be thrown into this hysteria over porn. Dave ignores my
     arguments about specific case of the filtering of political websites
     and decides to bring up my arguments for access to sexual information
     on the Net.

     I'm sure that mission statements of public libraries vary, but I think
     they are all dedicated towards serving the information needs of ALL
     community members, be they fundamentalist Christians who hate porn or
     fundamentalist Christians who like Hustler.

     So Dave, if I extend your argument logically, then you are saying also
     that libraries shouldn't serve the prurient needs of romance readers?
     Are you arguing that we pull all Fabio-clad bodice-rippers off the
     shelves? How about Henry Miller or Anais Nin? How about all of those
     SF books with steamy robo-sex themes?

     Dave, what gives you the right to look over somebody's shoulder and
     decide what is appropriate?

>>David, you are guilty of comparing apples and oranges. This is the first
>>time we've discussed special libraries and I think many would agree that
>>they are different case than public libraries.

>The point I'm building to is, if a special library is allowed to
>restrict information based upon its mission, why shouldn't a public
>library?

     Duh. Because a public library's mission is to serve the needs of the
     entire community? Maybe I'm really clueless here and public libraries
     have changed their missions so that they have to be approved by the
     mayor?

     I can understand why a special library doesn't buy books outside of
     its subject area. But isn't a public library supposed to be the
     gateway to ALL subjects?

>Threatening to "censor" me, eh?

Uh no, I was saying rhetorically that EXPERIENCING censorship does add a
little incentive to fight back.

>Does this mean you'll be waiting for me outside Muscone Center when I show
up for ALA?  ; >

No, I've got more enjoyable things to do when I'm in San Francisco.

;-)

Chuck