WYSIWYG Editor???? -Reply

John R. Little jrl at acpub.duke.edu
Fri Jun 6 15:42:16 EDT 1997

I'll put in a plug for AOLpress
<http://www.aolpress.com/>, a freeware WYSIWYG editor that
runs on Mac, Windows (3.1 & 95/NT), and UNIX. The
documentation claims to support "HTML 3.2 and Netscape
Extensions:  AOLpress also lets you create and display
pages that use a number of other Netscape extensions and
HTML 3.2 in it's WYSIWYG authoring environment."  I think
this is a very nice tool and given that it is freeware
I'm surprised the software is not more popular.

Among its features are a customizable tool bar, the ability
to edit in WYSIWYG-mode, the ability to edit the HTML
source, and the ability to save your files directly to the
server if used in companion with the freeware AOLserver (the
saving feature is via an HTTP put rather than FTP). As with
all WYSIWYG web authoring tools, I think this one has a few
kinks to work out.  But, for the most part it's pretty good
and it's free and easy to distribute throughout the
organization. The biggest flaw I see is that it's not a
great browser but I use Nestcape and MIE for browsing.
Then I use AOLpress for the bulk of my authoring.

It is also interesting that, although free, it received an
Editor's Choice honorable mention in a back issue of _PC
Magazine_.  Within the last six months there was an article
devoted to rating web authoring tools and HTML editors.
AOLpress is really quite good albeit a little slow on some
older machines.  The 32-bit version is hard to beat.

Just one more comment and in reference to Jennifer Heise's
original post: AOLpress does stick in the nonbreaking space
entity code "&nbsp;" but that is legal code. My Lynx
browser is compatible with that code, anyway.

--John
  John R. Little       Web Developer/Systems Librarian
  Perkins Library * Duke University * Durham, NC
  VOICE: (919) 660-5932            Email: jrl at duke.edu
              http://www.duke.edu/~jrl/