More from Zorn on librarians and Internet porn

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Thu Jun 5 11:11:58 EDT 1997

Eric Zorn's column today, excerpts from an e-dialogue with our colleague,
Chuck Munson.
        http://www.chicago.tribune.com/columns/zorn/zorn.htm

Stephen P. Bero
Reference and Technology Resources Librarian
Rolling Meadows Library
3110 Martin Lane
Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008-2698
Vox 847-259-6050 ext.137
FAX 847-259-5319
WWW http://www.rolling-meadows.lib.il.us/

     Oh boy, I'm famous <irony>. I guess I should thank Zorn for quoting
     me, although I'm a bit miffed that he quoted so extensively from
     private emails. Typical journalism. I wonder if I should complain
     about copyright infringement since he didn't get my "permission."

     Nah. Oh well.

     Looks like he outed me too.

     Mr. Zorn writes about this controversy being a wedge issue. It
     certainly is. It's a wedge, in the guise of protecting children, to
     make it socially acceptable that the library is a place to regulate
     content, in a fashion beyond traditional selection.

     It's just too bad that the pro-filtering extremists are getting so
     smug about articles in non-peer reviewed magazines.

     What do some of you lurkers think? This has to be one of the most
     important issues threatening the public library concept in years.

     Chuck