GIF vs JPG: PNG? (was Help about Microsoft PowerPoint -Reply)

Luc Grondin grondin.luc at uqam.ca
Tue Jun 3 12:09:52 EDT 1997

Dan Lester wrote:

>From what I can see, there is NO reason to not
>convert all your web images to .jpg, since the last several
>versions of all the browsers support them.

At least one good reason: TRANSPARENCY.  I have not seen or heard that you
could make transparent images in JPEG format.  However, the issues that you
mention over the GIF format are real and it seems that there could be an
alternative offered by the PNG format: Portable Network Graphics.  I know
little myself about that format but I did a quick search and found these
sites:

http://www.wco.com/~png/
http://www.boutell.com/boutell/png/

PNG is not yet supported by Web browsers (apart for some plugins).  We may
have to stick with GIF for a while.

LucG

            Luc Grondin
     Bibliothecaire/Librarian