Web Management Tools

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Tue Jun 3 09:19:11 EDT 1997

     FrontPage is a nice product, but it is not as flexible or robust (or
     as expensive) as Fusion from NetObjects ( http://www.netobjects.com )

     There are several products with the word "Fusion" in their name.  This
     is not Cold Fusion, it is plain Fusion.

     Fusion has a moderately steep learning curve, and their documentation
     is lighter than I would prefer.  Their customer service has been
     astoundingly good.  They maintain several newsgroups on their site and
     respond quickly.  They don't seem to be as "BS-prone" as, say,
     Microsoft.  Their pricing is higher than FrontPage, but there are
     significant eductional discounts available.  Info on the educational
     resellers is available on their Web site.

     Fusion runs on Macs and PCs.  I am not a Mac person so I cannot speak
     to how well it runs on that platform.  I do know that I have knocked
     out a half-dozen fifty-page websites with Fusion so far, and it would
     genuinely surprise me to spend more than a day on a fifty-page site.
     This assumes you have your content identified and such.  I find Fusion
     easier to manipulate than Front Page, their people a lot more
     responsive, and their company more committed to their customers than
     is perhaps the case with Microsoft.

     Fusion has very good database hooks, ActiveX capability for people
     still silly enough to trust Microsoft's absurd security scheme,
     handles Java easily, and has a lot of built-in developer support.  It
     is one of the few tools in any category that offers a decent balance
     between ease of use for occassional users and flexibility for the
     developer types.

     Earl Young