Collection development policies for the web

Camille Del Vecchio cdelvecc at mcls.rochester.lib.ny.us
Sun Jun 1 16:36:34 EDT 1997

	Does anyone really believe the Web is free?  I am a strong
believe in electronic access for all citizens and I'd like the library to
be the point of access BUT there will never be enough money for unlimited
access to chat rooms, games, MOOs, e-mail and not to mention all of the
Netscape naughty bits.
	The Internet requires PCs, cables, chairs, tables, ISPs,
keyboards, staff, heat and electricity etc. We should be willing to
accept the responsbilty for management of these resources.  Collection
development policies are still required.  I'd sure hate to go to a local
funding source and explain how this "free" resource can cost so much.

  "My method is to take the utmost trouble to find the right thing to
say, and then to say it with the utmost levity." G.B. Shaw

Camille DelVecchio
Penfield Public Library
1985 Baird Road
Penfield, NY 14526