Java applications

Rhyno Art arhyno at server.uwindsor.ca
Mon Jun 23 16:33:24 EDT 1997

> Does anyone know of any good examples of Java applications?  I am
> particularly interested in library applications, but would also like
> other examples.  I have already checked out the Gamelan site, but may
> have missed some good ones there.  I am not really interested in
> Java used for window dressing, but would like to see where it has been
> used to extend the usefulness of the Web.

One of the more interesting applications for libraries is the Java version
of Willow at:

http://www.washington.edu/bibsys/jwillow/

This applet is pre-alpha and was written by Matt Freedman at the University
of Washington. The white paper available at the same link gives a very good
overview of some of the design issues Java developers face when dealing
with more advanced applications on the Web. The Java version of Willow puts
a thin layer on the desktop and moves a lot of the work to a middle layer,
which is a good approach to lowering the amount of time it takes to load an
applet into a browser.

art
---
Art Rhyno, Systems Librarian