Final: Censorship Needs: Real or Perceived?

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 2 15:54:04 EDT 1997

I wish to thank all of you for your private comments
on this issue. I have gotten about 20 (so far) from
public librarians alone. I guess my comments could
have focused on libraries in general since I seem
to have struck a nerve with some of our public
colleagues. I did not intend on being critical
of public libraries, they have been the most active
in this area.

  I guess I believe the most important role of
librarians is not being the gatekeepers of
information, but being educators. What message are
we sending if, as librarians, we spend so much time,
energy, and resources on Internet filtering rather
than spending it educating patrons on the responsible
and appropriate use of the Internet? What are we saying
about our profession when at a recent conference this
issue demanded more attention than any other?

Thanks again for all your thoughts...

Eric Schnell
Head, Automation Services
Prior Health Sciences Library