Charges for Scanning -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Wed Jul 30 17:11:56 EDT 1997

>>> Christy Wrenn <Cwrenn at beta.centenary.edu> 07/30/97
11:11am >>>
1.     Are any of your libraries scanning materials
(photographs) to
diskette for patrons: for use on HomePages etc.?
--------------
Heavens, no.  But then we're not a computer lab and don't
provide word processing services either.  There are computer
labs for that purpose.  If the patrons aren't university patrons
who want to scan, then we send them to places like Kinkos
and let private industry take over.  We try to NEVER compete
with the private sector.
===========
2.    What department is responsable for doing this service?
---------------
Various departments run computer labs all over campus (over
a dozen, some with up to a hundred workstations).  Most of
them have scanners available.
===========
3.    What does your library charge for this service?
-----
Don't do it.
=================
4.    Do you restrict this service to specific patrons?
----------------
We have several scanners for internal use. Staff are allowed
to use them on their own time for personal scanning.  No
reason not to, as there is no cost to the library for them to do
so.  It isn't even like wasting a sheet of paper doing
something on state equipment on their own time.
=================
.     I know I sound like a survey, but scanning is a NEW
thang in
libraries and for those of us who are playing catch-up with
technology
need a clue as to how to handle these new services.
------------------
UNLESS you're also the campus computer center or media
center, I can't imagine why you'd want to get into it.  And,
since pretty decent scanners are now under $200, and small
ones are even less, I'd suggest those that want to do much
scanning can hang one on their own pc.  There are new PCs
coming out from HP and others that have built in scanners.
First, all PCs had two floppies.  Then they had two floppies
and a hard disk.  Then they had one floppy and a hard disk.
Then they added a CDROM to the floppy and hard disk.  Now
many new PCs come standard with the above, plus a
ZipDrive.  I'm betting that scanners will soon be a pretty
standard part of basic PCs, or at least a part of a basic
standard setup, just like a keyboard and a printer.

She said it about drugs and sex, where it doesn't work very
well, but to quote ol' NR, "Just say no!".

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.