Automated updating of Excite indexes

Bobb Menk bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us
Wed Jul 30 10:03:06 EDT 1997

Anyone using the excite search engine who'd be willing to give me
the benefit of their experience in automating the updating of
indexes?  (Both remotely and locally)

Barring that, I can break the problem into a few parts that perhaps
some of you can advise on the pieces and I can solve the greater
problem by fixing the smaller ones.

A canned perl script ships with excite that in theory will update
given indexes when you invoke it with the index name as a parameter.

1) How can I get NT 3.51 to execute a *.pl file from the command
line?

2) How can I get a remote UNIX host to execute the same perl script
at a specified time when I have access only to my own web portion of
said UNIX host?

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated.  I will happily
summarize for the list or anyone else.

Bobb Menk, Internet Librarian, Lane Memorial Library
Hampton, NH 03842  603-926-3368
bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us