Help: Problems with an Netscape shortcut

Lisa Weber lweber at utep.edu
Mon Jul 28 10:51:48 EDT 1997

Hello all,

I am trying to set up a shortcut on Windows 95 to a WWW site, and I'm keep
running into a problem.  We have Netscape as our default browser on our
public terminals and currently have over a dozen shortcuts that all work
perfectly.  The new one I'm trying to set up is for CenStat
(https://www.census.gov:6868/en/bin/login?Tag=/&URI=/doc/CenStats/doc/EPDB/d
bappweb.htm).  If I access this from Netscape, it works fine.  However, if
I try to set up a shortcut and then run the shortcut, it tells me Internet
Explorer is not my default browser, do I want to select it? (or something
to that effect).  I click on "no" and then it goes into I.E anyway.

Can anyone offer any help on how to get around this problem?  Does it have
to do with the location being a secure site?  If I'm going to be stuck with
I.E., is there anyway to run it in a kiosk mode?

TIA,

Lisa

Lisa Weber
Electronic Services Coordinator