Charging for Printing

Vicki Thompson VTHOMPSON at gw.uscs.edu
Fri Jul 25 07:38:50 EDT 1997

Our library has recently subscribed to several full text databases.  With
this new service, students, public, etc. have killed us with regard to
printing. Our paper and toner costs have gone through the roof.  We
have 25 computers networked to 1 HP LaserJet 5Si/5Si MX/5Si NX.  (a
wonderful machine, by the way).

I have researched several companies that have debit card and coin
operated boxes that attach to the printer, but a box must be attached to
each printer.  I have seen 4-5 computers networked to one printer with a
coin box, but by the time the you go to the box, drop the coin and run
back to the computer to press print, someone else has hit the print key
and used your money to their copies.

I really don't want to use a cash drawer if I can get away with it.  Sorry,
to go on so.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vicki Thompson, Systems Librarian
vthompson at gw.uscs.edu