WinNT for public webstations

Steve Morris stemor at info.SIMS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jul 23 13:28:47 EDT 1997

Hello,

We are considering using WinNT on public webstations in our small library.
This issue was covered on Web4Lib in a couple of archived messages from last
February and it was suggested then that under NT one can secure a PC using
the policy editor and that in NT's file system one can restrict access to
files based on username.  In order to lock down the browser it was suggested
that one should go with Internet Explorer and use the Administrator's Kit.

Since several months have passed since these messages were posted (sorry if
I missed any more recent messages) I was wondering if anyone has any
additional feedback to offer on the pros and cons of using NT on public
access stations.  Is the combination of built in NT security features and IE
Administrator's Kit adequate?  Any other tips, cautions?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven P. Morris, Technical Services Librarian
Harmer E. Davis Transportation Library
Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley
phone: (510) 642-3604  fax: (510) 642-9180
email: smorris at library.berkeley.edu