Browser designed for libraries?

Tony Barry tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 21 21:59:38 EDT 1997

At 9:59 AM 21/7/97, Bill Drew wrote:
>libraries.  Here is what I would like to see in such a browser:
>
>1. built in telnet/tn3270 with full VT compatability (remember Cello?)

There is a Java telnt applet which would cover this.

>2. built in WAIS, gopher support

I think z39.50 will read wais however most wais access now seem to be
through bridges to http.

>3. Java/Active X support

essential but its going to be at the OS level and the browser can pick it
up from there.

>4. Separate browser from e-mail.

Component technology should fix that whether it be Active X, DCOM, CORBA or
Java Beans

>5. available on all platforms

Keep to Java and it will be

>6. Built in Z39.50 support to do away with need for intermediary Z39.50
>to web client.

Ive seen reports of a z39.50 java applet but then how much are we going to
go the z39.50 in the client and how much will we rely on http/z39.50
bridges on web servers??  I'm not sure if end users are going to see much
z39.50 directly.  It might all end up being mediated and offered through
http.  The choice is deploying clients across all your users of installing
a single bridge product (Ovid has one already)

>7. Low space/memory needs.

Heeee Heeee!

>8. Full multimedia support without plugins.

Until people stop inventing new wrinkles we are stuck with this one :-(

>9. fully configurable with password protection of configuration.
>10. Powerful kiosk mode.

This we need but the pasword side needs to be part of a total
authentication schme not just on based on a single subfunction.

>Now, how would we get such a tool developed without going to Netscape,
>Microsoft, or anyone else making any money?
>--

Well the UK Higher Education Library system just threw 30 million pounds
sterling into innovative electronic library projects and the Australian
university Library system spread $A5 million.  Libraries cost a LOT of
money and if they choose to spend in on something other than books and
salaries they can get what they want.

Tony

mailto:tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au                |+61 6 249 5688
http://www.anu.edu.au/CNASI/People/TonyB.html |+61 6 288 0959

Ningaui Pty Ltd, GPO Box 1680, Canberra City, ACT 2601

Visiting Fellow,  Department of Computer Science,  Faculty of
Engineering and Information Technology.   Australian National
University,    ACT 0200   AUSTRALIA

Apologise for the stolen generation - <http://apology.west.net.au/>