Browser designed for libraries?

David Vaughan dsvaughan at wentworth.region.library.on.ca
Mon Jul 21 14:27:41 EDT 1997

I suspect that an approach by an enthusiastic, interested group of
librarians to one of the smaller browser developers (like the creators
of Opera) might get us somewhere.  They are probably making money, but
hardly qualify as monopolistic monsters unconcerned with tiny fringe
groups like librarians :).

Your list of features is pretty complete.  I would say that good
documentation of all features (esp. the kiosk and security modes)
coupled with readily available tech. support (by Internet and/or phone)
would be another important feature.  As much as I hate to bring in
another thread here, there would probably also be demand for some kind
of plugin architecture to easily incorporate filtering. I'm not a
filtering advocate, but recognize that some libraries are choosing to
filter and this would be a chance to develop an integrated, manageable
solution to both browser and filtering problems.

David