Internet "collection development" -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Wed Jul 16 12:45:51 EDT 1997

>>> Tony Barry <tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au> 07/14/97
08:30pm >>>
At 3:27 PM 11/7/97, Nick Arnett wrote:
>What if cataloging features became completely integrated
with search, so
>that you could search in the context of categories, and view
search results
>in the context of categories?

I believe the PICS-NG development will provide a protocol
which could do this.

Absolutely.  The only big "gotcha" in PICS or PICS-NG is that
people have to USE it.  They have to supply the metadata
according to specs.  I hope this happens for major institutions
or businesses, but I'll bet the the vast majority of pages do
NOT do so (which in one way could be good, but there is a lot
of substance on pages done by all sorts of "students and
amateurs" who probably won't use it).

dan

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho, 83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR    alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox:    http://cyclops.idbsu.edu
"How can one fool make another wise?"   Kansas, 1979.