Access

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Jul 15 13:54:47 EDT 1997

>>My question to web4lib:
>>
>>Is it possible for university staff and students to access these services
>>when not at a campus computer with university IP address?

Yes, there are some work-arounds that folks have concocted. You could try
searching the web4lib archives for some.  Here at Marquette we've
implemented an experimental system whereby faculty and grad students (after
evaluation we may open this up to undergrads) can contact the reference
dept and get a password so they can access our IP-controlled databases from
home. It took some time scripting, but it works. On the section of our home
page that gives info about our databases we tell folks why access is
restricted and how to register for the password. I wish we could offer PPP
access to staff/faculty/students, but our ITS department doesn't want to do
this.

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3542 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu