NS Communicator Telnet Helper App

Eric Schnell schnell.9 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 14 08:42:38 EDT 1997

Ed Cherry wrote:

> I'm having a problem with Netscape Communicator and
> telnet/tn3270 applications.  Apparently, Netscape is passing
> the entire URL to the helper app, rather than just the domain
> name.  In other words, Netscape issues this command line:
>
> c:\winterm\winterm.exe telnet:\\whatever.com
>
> instead of:
>
> c:\winterm\winterm.exe whatever.com
>
> The telnet app dutifully reports that it could not resolve the
> host name "telnet:"

  This appears to be a problem on Win95/NT machines. It looks
like Netscape is relying on the Windows file extensions to
launch telet. Did you notice there is no longer a Helper
Applications tab in Communicator?

  Go to Windows Navigator and select Options then File Types.
Go down the list and there is a listing for URL: Telnet Protocol.
The default is usually RUNDLL32. It would appear this filetype
is designed specifically for RUNDLL32. Changing this to any
other telnet application will cause the error being reported.

   This is a big problem. We have customized PERL scripts which
pass to the address onto WinQVT correctly. Contact me directly
if you wish said scripts. Any other solutions are appreciated...

-Eric

Eric Schnell - Head, Automation Services
Prior Health Sciences Library - The Ohio State University
schnell.9 at osu.edu