Microsoft's IEAK vs. Netscape's Administration Kit

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Wed Jul 9 19:10:15 EDT 1997

We haven't had a chance to work here with Communicator 4.0, although I
have it at home.  We do have both Administrator Kits for Netscape 3
and Internet Explorer 3.  We found that with Windows NT Policy editor,
its NTSF file system, and Internet Explorer Admin Kit, we could create
a "secure" PC.  I know nothing is perfectly secure, but it's worked
for about four months with no problems.  This doesn't address the
Win95 problem though.

The current Netscape 3 Admin Kit is a fiasco.  You have to tweak
".ini" files.  Only three of the options menu choices are available to
block.  Most of what we wanted to kill off wasn't available.  For this
privelege we paid $800.  We had great difficulty finding out  from
Netscape staff what could be blocked and how.  There are no printed
instructions either.

On Netscape's site it indicates that the new Communicator 4.0 Admin
Kit not yet available according to their staff) will have 200 options
(not really specified).  However, it will require Netscape SuiteSpot
Server and one other Netscape Server which I forget which for now.  A
big concern with Communicator 4.0 is that you don't get just the
browser.  You can no longer just download the browser piece
separately.  You also automatically get the web editor, the e-mail
messenger component, and the collabra discussion group component.
 That makes for even more things to have to kill off.

Thanks

Norm Reeder
Library Services Manager
Torrance Public Library
3301 Torrance Blvd
Torrance, CA 90503
310-618-5950
reeder.norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of the City
of Torrance