Filtering: Push vs. Pull

Randy Anderson rmanders at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 9 10:03:12 EDT 1997

Anna Trupiano wrote:

> At 10:33 PM 7/7/97 -0700, Randy Anderson wrote:
> >Anna,
> >
> >Push is not really push but an rules oriented agent that resides in
> >connection with the browser.
>
> True... so future browsers will have the ability to accept or reject
> the pushed information?  Or will browsers default to acceptance (some-
> what similar to COOKIES.TXT where you are bugged-to-death, until you
> accept)?

It does not look like this will be an option. You will have a great deal
of control selecting what areas or topics you want pushed at you.

> >Someone tells the agent what you are
> >interested in and at what frequency you want to check a single server or
> >multiple and away it goes.
>
> Do I as the end user determine what information gets pushed at me?  Or
> just by virtue of connecting to a business site will my hard disk drive
> be filled with unwanted information?  The latter is my understanding.

Depending on the push system you do have a great deal of control.  You
should try something like pointcast (http://www.pointcast.com) or
Intermind (http://www.intermind.com) to get the feel of it.

> >While I assume that you would not want each user to tailor the browser
> >with this type of tool
>
> Definitely not!
>
> > it might make a great tool for use by the central
> >library pushing updates to all library browsers connected.
>
> Yes, I can see where this might be an advantage.
>

> >Randy Anderson
> >Kirkland Library Board
> >rmanders at sprynet.com
> >

> But it still seems to me that filters will be necessary in conjunction
> with this sort of "tool" (if only to maintain storage workspace), even
> assuming that I control what information gets pushed at me.  Frankly,
> that would be a unique situation... who really "controls" what they get
> even now???  ;-)

> Anna Trupiano                           Palos Verdes Library District
> Systems Administrator                   P.O. Box 8000
>   Phone: (310) 377-9584 X258            701 Silver Spur Road
>   FAX:   (310) 541-6807                 Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274

Randy Anderson
rmanders at sprynet.com