children accessing porn; adults turning off filterware

earl young eayoung at cais.com
Tue Jul 8 19:24:41 EDT 1997

I took my philosopher-king hat off the other day, and cannot find it.  I
suspect - hope, in fact - that these discussions will lead to such
practical solutions.  I spent a couple of decades on the Hill (US
Capitol) doing such things as writing speeches and press releases, and
the vulnerability of the library community to a major political assault
concerns me.  Airing the issues is one way to get our act together so
that we are not surprised when the TV reporters start sticking
microphones in our face and say "and how do YOU feel about letting
children see these things?"  Your response will be edited to about 9
seconds.  You gotta have it ready - and most of the answers so far would
be raw meat to a skilled opponent.  That's why I hope we find
solutions.  I am not as opposed to filters as some - but that doesn't
mean I am anxious to see libraries shoot themselves in the foot because
of a smug or hard-to-explain position.

Earl