children accessing porn; adults turning off filterware (was Re: Selection)

earl young eayoung at cais.com
Mon Jul 7 23:35:30 EDT 1997

Someone is paying for Internet access, but the financial cost is not the
point.  The First Amendment issues - particularly my right to "listen" -
is also not on the table.  We all agree that there is a First Amendment,
and that prior restraint is generally a "Bad Thing."  I agree with the
Court's CDA decision, but this isn't about what ought to be on the
Internet.  The question that was posed is the fairly narrow one of "what
is the case for child access to pornography in libraries?"

Your last sentence again raises the issue of parental responsibility.  I
see an implication (and I apologize if none was intended) that parents
supporting filtering are trying to set standards for the children of
others.  Is that not also true for the people who want to block
filtering?