children accessing porn; adults turning off filterware (was Re: Selection)

earl young eayoung at cais.com
Mon Jul 7 21:58:47 EDT 1997

Where does freedom of speech imply a freedom of taxpayer-funded
listening?  And where does any of that mitigate the side-effects some
see when children are exposed to inappropriate material?  I asked what
the arguments were that favor children having access to pornography.
You said "First Amendment".  I asked where the First Amendment created a
duty of government to pay for such things.  You reply that I am not
addressing "freedom of listening."  You're right - I'm not.  I'm back to
why it's a good idea to provide children access to pornography in
libraries.

I don't know whether it's a good idea or not.  But it is a core problem
in the issue of whether and how to filter.  And until someone can make
the case that it is a good idea, we ought to be a little more tolerant
of those who think it may do some damage.  Maybe filter fans aren't all
redneck bozos anxious to return us to a time of ignorance and
repression.  Do they have a point?  Does access have consequences?  What
are they?  There is nothing First Amendment involved here.  CDA was
First Amendment - this is simply whether people should be compelled to
pay for something with which they disagree.  Sometimes they should.  Is
this one of those times?  What - back to my original question - are the
arguments in favor of children accessing pornography in libraries?

Your closing sentence about parents and not librarians being responsible
for what their children see raises the issue of whether parents pushing
for filters are in fact exercising that responsiblity.  Are librarians
that are fighting filters seeking to usurp that responsibility?  I am
not taking a position one way or the other - I am personally inclined to
be against filters and in favor of leaving the libraries out of the line
of fire.  But the world isn't working out that way, and skirmishes are
being fought all over the place, and I think we shoot ourselves in the
foot by disrespecting or underestimating views from the other side.  So
let's go back to the original issue.  What are the arguments for giving
children unfettered access to pornography in libraries?  Several recent
messages stated that "there is a case to be made" for it.  Okay - make
it.