Selection

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Mon Jul 7 13:45:06 EDT 1997

>The technology doesn't work!!!  That is obvious from looking at Karen
>Schneider's site that is testing filtering products.

Actually, the technology does work for what it was intended to do.  Most
filters were made for the home market not for libraries.  The problem is
that they use a sledgehammer approach to blocking sites.  CYBERSitter 97
very effectively blocks hardcore pornographic sites.  However, it also has
keyword blocking that cannot be disabled and blocks sites that most
librarians would find innocuous.  None of the major filters I've seen are
appropriate for general use in a library setting.  I would suggest that
librarians who are pro-filtering and are also concerned about first
amendment issues contact the filter software manufacturers and offer your
services to help them make a better product.

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3542 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu