ALA Passes Resolution on Filtering

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Jul 7 09:41:32 EDT 1997

>I should probably wait for the official word, but I'm too happy, and
>besides, it's Independence Day:
>On July 2, 1997, the Council of the American Library Association
>passed, "Resolved, that the American Library Association affirms that
>the use of filtering software by libraries to block access to
>Constitutionally protected speech abridges the _Library Bill of
>Rights_."
>
>This should give citizens, library users and staff something to point
>to if there is a call for filtering library access.  I expect there
>will be some nitpicking over details, but the plain sense of it is
>that  filters can, at most, just be an option that no one is
>restricted to using.  We know we are putting ourselves on the line
>here, and some of us may have to go through difficult times as a
>result.  I believe it is possible for the public to come to understand
>that we are doing this to protect their rights and to give their
>support to this principle.
>
>Carolyn Caywood,
>Councilor at large

     Well, this is good to hear. Gives me another reason to stay involved
     with ALA. It certainly is in keeping with most, not all, of the
     sentiments I heard at ALA. Unfortunately, this whole controversey is
     far from over, but it is good to hear that ALA has reaffirmed the
     profession's stand against censorship, whatever form it takes.

     I would like to give some kudos to Karen and her volunteers for their
     work on assessing censorware. I would have supported the project if it
     had reached different conclusions, but it was nice to see that my
     suspicions and experiences were reconfirmed. Filtering software should
     be for personal use only and shouldn't be forced on somebody else.

     Chuck