use rules for internet mailing lists

Michael Iorns iorns at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Jul 3 17:59:03 EDT 1997

Howdy Folks.

Much of this kind of problem is covered by the etiquette "rules"
such as "me too" posting being unacceptable.

I am only a reasonably new subscriber to this list, but I am already
horrified by the amount of circular discussion of side-issues.

A _personal_ monitoring of word limit and post frequency is essential,
which is perhaps what the lecturers in the example are trying to instil
in fledgeling students.

The argument of the delete key is all very well, but receiving email
costs money. Who are these people who keep wasting my money with
self-important nonsense? Who CARES whether your library contains playboy?
ONLY the person who asked the question:
"> At 6:00 PM -0700 6/30/97, Hetherington Information Services wrote:

> >Now I'm curious... Are there any other libraries that have Playboy in their
> >collection?
> "

Well send the damn reply back to the _person_ not to the whole list!

The poster of the message to which I am currently replying has provided
another example, by quoting the entire first message, instead of selectively
including only those specific points to which the reply is directed.

This creates a big long message containg everything already said, which
contains the reply at the BOTTOM so we have to scroll all the way down
to find it. This is an unfortunately common mailing list fault. I think
I am smart enough to remember the general gist of what was said in the
original message, if a sentence or two of the main point is provided. We
usually don't have to read something more than once or twice to be able
to recall it.

Online discussion IS different from "live", though this is not to say
everything needs to be locked down. One major difference is that in a
live discussion it is easy to let the other person know they have
approached the limit of relevance and interest _as_ they are speaking,
instead of them continuing to blithely pour out words without a reaction
until AFTER those words have been sent, and done their damage.

People have to be their own monitors. Damn, it doesn't work. If you want
to see who needs lessons, sort messages by sender and see who occupies the
most space in the list. It is always an interesting way to locate the
mouth-offs.

Regards.
Michael.
Waikato University Library Computing Support
(sig below)

               Michael Iorns|Private Bag 3105|iorns at waikato.ac.nz
        Computing Consultant|    Hamilton    |Ph(64)7 838-4466x6737
  Waikato University Library|  New Zealand   |Fx  " " 838-4017