Filtering

Nick Arnett narnett at verity.com
Thu Jul 3 16:55:37 EDT 1997

At 01:40 PM 7/3/97 -0700, Brian.Rossmann at ms.psc-cfp.x400.gc.ca wrote:

>I was wondering if the technology and resources existed for a
>link-compiler like Yahoo! aimed at children/youth.
[snip]
>I imagine such an animal exists somewhere.

Not yet, but we've started showing this kind of capability in a general
sense.  We'll be starting tests of it with large customers soon.  Some of
them are corporate libraries.

The idea is to allow many such virtual catalogs to co-exist, so the children
could be using a different one from the adults while sharing the same
collection underneath.  Not only would the access be different, the very
organization of the resources would be different, which one could imagine
would be helpful.  In fact, the capability will be present to support lots
of catalogs, so that the PTA could maintain one, the Baptists another, the
Lutherans a third, etc.  Of course, to make this effective, you'd need to
enforce strong identification on the access machines, but I guess the
history of library cards suggests that identification doesn't run counter to
library ethics.

Nick

Product Manager, Categorization and Visualization
Verity Inc. -- Connecting People with Information

Phone: 408-542-2164     Fax: 408-541-1600
Home office: 408-733-7613         narnett at verity.com
http://www.verity.com